Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Reading Scripture




"Till I come, give attention to reading, to exhortation, to doctrine." (1 Timothy 4:13, NKJV)
In this passage among other things the apostle Paul admonishes Timothy to pay attention to the public reading of Scripture. In the first century and for many centuries following copies of the Word of God was scarce. Bibles were copied by hand, so not many people could afford to have a copy. So public reading of the Bible was important if people were going to grow in grace.

I could not imagine what the world in the first century must have been like. I have never counted but I am sure I have at least two dozen Bibles in my home. We take for granted our easy access to the Word of God. Unfortunately many of us do not take advantage of the resources God has given to us in our day.

Reading the Bible is essential to life. "But Jesus answered him, saying, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.’ ”" (Luke 4:4, NKJV) For the last several years I have had my daily dose of Scripture reading delivered to my email inbox. This has been a great way to read the Bible through in a year.

Check it out for yourself by clicking on the following link. http://studylight.org/plan/byemail.cgi

My prayer for you is that you pay attention to both the private and public reading of Scripture.

No comments: