Monday, February 4, 2008

This Day in History








1950 - American missionary and martyr Jim Elliot resolved in his
journal: 'I may no longer depend on pleasant impulses to bring
me before the Lord. I must rather respond to principles I know
to be right, whether I feel them to be enjoyable or not.'

I have always been inspired by the legacy left to us by Jim Elliot. He was an ordinary guy that God used in an extraordinary way. It is helpful to see some of the insights he left us from his diary. I think he is right to make a commitment to do the right thing even though you do not feel like doing it. It would be better if you had a strong desire to read the Bible daily and pray daily, but creating a routine of regular devotion to God may give you more opportunities to have the joy of secret devotion with God.


In 1 Thessalonians 5:17 the apostle Paul said, “pray without ceasing.” He did not call on us to pray when we feel like it but pray even when we do not feel like it. Perhaps the time we need to pray the most is when we do not feel like praying at all.

No comments: