Tuesday, March 4, 2008

On my way to LA

It is an enjoyable experience to get fly out of Chattanooga. The airport here has a really nice terminal. It has been recently remodeled and provides all the amenities one may need at the last minute. The fact that the airport is relatively un-crowded also makes for an enjoyable departure.

I went right through security with no trouble, boarded the plane, and we pushed back from the gate on time. Unfortunately there was a slight delay in our immediate departure, but the pilot assured us we should be airborne in about ten minutes. The ten minutes turned into a little over an hour. One thing the airlines have not learned to control is the weather.

Storms had been moving through our area and had already cleared by the time we boarded, but the storms were just hitting our intermediate destination, Atlanta. All ground traffic was stopped at Atlanta so we would not be allowed to depart till the flow of traffic resumed in Atlanta.

The pilot said that most of us should be able to make our connecting flight because Atlanta should be way behind. I arrived in Atlanta ten minutes prior to the departure of my connecting flight. I would have to hurry but surely my connection would be delayed. When I got to the departure board I found my flight and unfortunately there was no delay posted.

Philippians 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; was not the first thought that came to my mind. I was in concourse C and had to get to T which is four concourses removed. I stepped into the train and waited. It was only two minutes but it seemed like two hours before the wheels began to turn.

I hopped off the train and headed for the gate. After about three or four minutes I realized that I had turned to the right and should have turned left. I was walking in the wrong direction. I turned around and this time began to run. I can still move pretty well for a fat preacher, but if it was two feet further I am not sure I could have made it. Fortunately 1 Thessalonians 5:17 pray without ceasing came to my mind.

I arrived at the gate expecting to be waving goodbye to my flight when an attendant noticed the frantic look on my face and asked me if I was going to LA. Out of breath I could only nod in the affirmative. He quickly scanned my ticket and I walked down the entrance ramp to the plane. There were two people in front of me slowly entering the craft. I was last but made it just in time.

Thank you for your prayers now and always. I suppose I just needed a little exercise of both my physical body and my spiritual body.

No comments: