Monday, March 24, 2008

Shalom


I just sent an electronic card to a friend of mine. One of the great things about communicating electronically is that you can send cards and letters at the spur of the moment or when you are thinking about someone or a particular situation.

A good friend of mine is dealing with job pressures so I sent him an e-mail of encouragement. In the card I referenced John 14:27 where Jesus said:

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

This is one of those passages that we know is true, yet we have trouble believing. No not trouble believing it to be true in our intellect but rather our in our emotions. In John 14 Jesus was preparing His disciples for life without His direct physical presence. Instead Jesus confirmed to His disciples that He would ensure that they would be directly comforted by the presence of the Holy Spirit.

"And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you." (John 14:16-17, NKJV)

The difficulties that you are experiencing may be very troubling. Jesus has promised to provide peace to His disciples. If you are not experiencing peace in the midst of whatever storm you have to endure at this time I encourage you to call on God and pray that He will enable you to see the sunshine of His smiling face through the storms of providence.

No comments: